Stephen Olear, Esq., gave the Classification presentation this week. Stephen was born in New Jersey “a nice place to be from.” We would like to thank him for his service in Vietnam in 1966/67. He went into real estate before he graduated from Western State Law School and passed the bar on December 14, 1993.
80% of Stephen’s practice is domestic violence including spouse, child and elder abuse. He explained the procedure:
- Emergency Protection Order (expires in 5 days)
- Temporary Restraining Order (expires in 20 days)
- Restraining Order (5 years up to a life time good in all 50 states)
- Child protective services (if there is abuse of a minor, the spouse will be charged with failure to protect)
- Once the police are in your life, they never get out.
- Bail is $25,000
Stephen works in Family Law Court, Criminal Court, Juvenile Court and Probate Court (Guardianship and Conservatorship). Stephen explained that victims have no standing to dismiss the case. The victim is really a witness while the state is pressing the charges.
Stephen also handles divorces where no domestic violence has occurred.